<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 08, 2004

Forbidden Iran 

I just watched "Forbidden Iran" on PBS's Frontline program.

A Canadian journalist, Jane Kokan, went undercover in Iran to speak with members of the student democracy movement, and also to look into the death of fellow journalist Zahra Kazemi.

Most of the program focused on the student movement, and the repression they have faced--including torture, imprisonment, and execution. I was struck by two things: The ruthlessness of the regime in attacking the students, as shown by burnt dormitories, blood-soaked beds and clothing, hallways slick with blood, and protesters being savagely beaten; and the determination of the students in the face of it all. One man, facing a prison sentence, tells his mother, "I want [you] at that moment they're hanging me, to stand proudly and say, 'I'm proud of my son.'"

All freedom-loving people should be proud of people like him, willing to risk their lives to stand up for what they believe in.

They deserve our support.

The segment will be available online on Monday here.
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: