<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 07, 2004

Liberty 

No American can believe in freedom and believe in our Constitution, and accept something like this.

DES MOINES, Iowa -- In what may be the first subpoena of its kind in decades, a federal judge has ordered a university to turn over records about a gathering of anti-war activists.

In addition to the subpoena of Drake University, subpoenas were served this past week on four of the activists who attended a Nov. 15 forum at the school, ordering them to appear before a grand jury Tuesday, the protesters said.
Unless the activists were planning violent protests at their meeting, which sounds pretty unlikely, no court has any business ordering Drake to turn over anything. For more information see "United States Constitution, Amendment I."

I've mentioned my background once or twice, but I'm going to bring it up again, because it has a strong influence on how I feel about this story. I did not raise my right hand nearly 11 years ago, and I do not continue to serve as a reservist today, to see this kind of BS happen. The oath I and every other servicemember swore was to defend the Constitution. We exist to prevent this kind of thing and I'm pissed. I don't care if these activists were against something I strongly favor. They have that right. Their right to gather and to speak their mind is part of the bedrock on which this country was built.

I can only hope that a higher court will promptly rip this case to shreds. And whoever this judge is, he needs to be removed from the bench, perhaps disbarred. He obviously doesn't have a clue about the law of the land.
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: