<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Escaped gorilla was taunted 

12/3/04 UPDATE: Buddy Musso is bringing a lot of traffic my way in the last few days. If you arrived here from a Google search, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if there's some kind of news I'm missing. Thanks.

Original Post:

Things like this just piss me off.

DALLAS - A zoo visitor saw two teen-age boys throwing rocks or ice at Jabari the gorilla shortly before he escaped from his exhibit Thursday and attacked three people at the Dallas Zoo, officials said Monday.

Mammal curator Ken Kaemmerer said the man told zoo officials that he warned the teens not to taunt the gorilla and was walking away from the exhibit when he heard someone yelling that the animal had escaped.
Three people were hurt and a gorilla was killed because a couple of punks didn't have the decency to respect a captive animal. What the hell would prompt two human beings to throw things at a caged gorilla? It's a shame that Jabari didn't attack them instead. If they get caught, it'll be an equal shame that their punishment won't involve being locked in an enclosure and stoned.

Few things upset me more than defenseless victims being abused, especially when the victims have no comprehension of what is happening. One case in particular really bothered me a few years ago, and the victim's name, Buddy Musso, has stuck with me ever since. I figured that few people will remember him, so I decided that, although I only read about his story on the net, I wouldn't forget his name.

A mentally disabled man was beaten to death by six people for breaking a Mickey Mouse ornament, police said Friday.

The three men and three women were charged with capital murder Thursday in the attack on 59-year-old Louis ''Buddy'' Musso, whose body was found in a ditch. He had been kicked, punched and beaten with a bat and belts, police said.

Authorities said the defendants had beaten Musso routinely in recent months. The attack that killed him came Tuesday after he broke the Mickey Mouse ornament, Assistant Police Chief R.C. Pruett said. Police had no details on the ornament and how it was broken.

A family member said Musso had the mental capacity of a 7- or 8-year-old.
The utter pettiness of the reason he was killed disturbed me. I mean, this man was beaten to death over a damned Mickey Mouse ornament. Plus, I can't help but imagine Buddy Musso curled up in a ball, whimpering and screaming while enduring a savage beating, and until the end having no understanding of what was happening or why.

While the abuse those two kids gave Jabari the gorilla was less severe than a deadly beating, I imagine he was confused, hurt, and scared, and he did the only thing he could to stop it--the only thing a gorilla knows when faced with danger. I can't blame him for what happened. The responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the cretins who threw things at him.
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: