<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Accommodating Muslims 

Psst... France... Here's how it's done.

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. - The City Council gave preliminary approval Tuesday night to a mosque's plans to send out a call to prayer to Muslims on a loudspeaker.

The Bangladeshi al-Islah mosque wants to air the Arabic call to prayer via loudspeakers five times a day, but agreed Tuesday not to air the calls before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m.
UPDATE: I mentioned my trip to Bahrain in the post above, and during my stay, I quickly became used to hearing the Athan (call to prayer). I came to enjoy hearing it as part of the rhythm of life in the Islamic world. Even as a non-Muslim, it was kind of a comforting thing to hear, and a sign that all is well and normal.

My point? I don't know. I guess I'm just saying that for me, the call to prayer would not be something I would mind hearing. It would remind me of a place and of people that I really enjoyed getting to know a little. Fortunately, I will probably be going back before too long. Unfortunately, it'll probably be during the hottest part of the summer...
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: