<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Land of the two seas 

On Friday, I will be leaving the pleasant Maine summer for slightly hotter climes. It's time for me to fulfill my obligatory two weeks a year of active duty as a Naval Reservist. In this case, I'll be serving the maximum time allowed, which is about a month.

So, back to the sandbox of Bahrain I go. I'll try to post about my observations and experiences, what the culture is like, what the people are like, etc. (Note--interaction with actual Bahrainis is a relatively infrequent thing, so I might not have much on that subject.) I'll also try to keep weather posts to a minimum, although some degree of complaining should be expected. I'm going from Maine to Bahrain, after all. I deserve some slack. Besides, a few words about how unbearably hot it is help to set the tone for any description of the Gulf in summertime.

I think that most Americans don't have much of a sense of what life is like in the Arab world. I don't know if I'll be able to shed a lot of light on the subject, but I can at least write about what it is like for me as an American in an Arab country. (Albeit in a quite modern, westernized, and cosmopolitan one.) I've mentioned my previous time in Bahrain elsewhere in this blog, but, internet connectivity permitting*, I hope to provide something approaching a day to day description of the people, places, and things that cross my path. Maybe a reader or two will learn something.

* Worst-case scenario is what I had last year, which is pay-per-minute dialup at my flat. Best case, I get put up in a place with Wi-fi.

I will try to get some photos on here to share some of the sights of Bahrain. Naturally, there will be nothing to identify me or the location of my residence. Also, my workday will have to remain a black hole. There simply isn't much I can tell you about, unless you're interested in the food we had delivered or which ballgame we watched on the night shift. I'm guessing you're not.

So that's that. Like I said, hopefully someone can learn a thing or two.
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: