<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Darfur 

While I'm on the subject of human tragedy, PBS Frontline had an outstanding segment about Darfur by reporter Amy Costello on tonight's broadcast. There's an equally informative web page for the program, with video to come next Monday. I highly, highly recommend watching it if you're interested in the situation in Darfur. There are a few particular enlightening moments, including an admission of government control of the Janjaweed. I also didn't realize that Egypt had contributed to the African Union peacekeeping force. I'm somewhat surprised that an Arab neighbor of Sudan would do so, but right there on Frontline was an Egyptian soldier acting as an interpreter, wearing a green AU armband and beret.

But in the big picture, the AU effort notwithstanding, why the world isn't doing more to help is something I'll never understand.
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: