<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 04, 2005

Tsunami relief no-go 

Quite some time ago, I said that I would be going to Hawaii soon, for some temporary active duty to help with the planning and coordination of the military's tsunami relief effort.

Well, scratch that idea. It took a while, but in the end, the great wheels of bureaucracy did not turn in my favor.

First of all, the command that was originally going to pay for my active duty time changed its mind. They also dragged their feet for a couple of weeks informing me of the change.

Then it fell upon another major command to decide if they wanted to fund it. That took a week and a half, but eventually they said no. They would rather pay me with the taxpayers' (i.e. your) money to spend a couple of weeks at some sort of multilateral exercise.

Call me crazy if you like, but I had this notion in my head that the country should maximize the impact of its military reserve force. The taxpayer (you) gets more bang for the buck if I, as a Naval Reservist, spend my active time supporting real-world operations. You know, saving lives or plotting the defeat of terrorists like I'm used to doing. Instead, I will spend that time exercising with the East Nowhere Navy to reassure them that we like them.

Gotta take care of the important stuff.
| |


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


Search Popdex: